Here are the pre-race instructions for the 2021 Eastbourne 10 km together with your race number, timing chip and T Shirt if you ordered one. Please take time to read all the instructions as they are essential for everyone’s safety.
COVID-19 Participant Code of Conduct
Outdoor activities and outdoor sport are consistently shown to be low risk from a COVID-19 perspective and running events play an important role in improving the health of the nation. If you observe and respect the event rules, social distancing and hygiene measures put in place by the event organiser risks to you and others will be kept to a minimum.
Please ensure that you read and observe this code of conduct to ensure a safe and enjoyable event for everyone.
- You must undertake a self-assessment for COVID-19 symptoms. Do not travel to the event if you are showing any symptoms of COVID-19. No-one should leave home to participate in sport if they, or someone they live with, has symptoms of COVID-19 currently recognised as any of the following.
– A high temperature
– A new, continuous cough
– A loss of, or change to, their sense of smell or taste
Should you report or demonstrate any such symptoms, you must follow NHS and PHE guidance on self-isolation.
- Please consider wearing a face covering pre and post race (ie before and after entering the field of competition).
- You must scan the venue QR code provided by the race organiser using the NHS Test & Trace App on arrival.
- Do your homework – make sure you are aware of and understand the pre-race briefing information offered by your event.
- Come ready to run – minimise your interaction with race staff, volunteers and participants by being as self-sufficient as possible.
- Under no circumstances swap your number or give your place to another participant
- Be respectful to volunteers and participants.
- Observe social distancing wherever possible.
- Carefully consider your travel plans. Walk or cycle if possible.
- Car sharing is not permitted with someone from outside your household or your support bubble.
- Be self sufficient – be prepared to bring your own water, food and carry it with you during the race and please dispose of rubbish responsibly.
- Be aware of your personal hygiene e.g. avoid spitting and nasal clearance.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and impact on other participants, spectators, volunteers and the public. Don’t run with or carry children in the race.
- Bring your own hand sanitizer.
- If you experience COVID-19 symptoms soon after the event, you must report this using the NHS Test & Trace App – https://covid19.nhs.uk.
If you have any enquiries regarding the race, please email email@example.com
Arrival at event.
Please come alone and if possible arrive at the event by foot. There is plenty of parking on the seafront and surrounding roads – payment will be required unless you are lucky enough to find an area of free parking (further out).
Your race number and timing chip will be sent out shortly so please put these on before leaving the house. Remember, there are no water stations on the route so be self-sufficient, bring your own. There will be bottled water available at the finish.
Be ready to run, arrive no more than 15 minutes prior to the start time of 08:30. Access to the holding area will be from the East side of the bandstand only. The other access points will be blocked off. Please do not congregate near the start and use all the available space on the seafront to socially distance.
There are toilets on the seafront, gents on the lower promenade east of the bandstand and ladies on the middle prom west of the bandstand. Access for the ladies will be through the middle tier of the bandstand. Please be respectful and do not use hedges, gardens or the beach. Remember, not to panic as the event is chip timed, the race starts when you cross the start line.
On arrival in the holding area make sure you stand on the left- hand side of the promenade so access can be gained to those who need to get nearer the front due to their anticipated race times. The quicker you are, the nearer to the front you should position yourself. There is plenty of room for everyone so spread out, the race is chip-timed, your race time starts when you cross the start line and activate the timing mats.
During the race.
Where possible keep to the left-hand side of the seafront. Maintain your distance from other runners. If you need to pass them, wait for the appropriate opportunity where there is space and overtake as quickly as possible. The runner who is being passed should slow down to help facilitate the overtake. There will be marshals on the course at key points. Make sure prior to the run you have studied the route.
No spitting, nasal clearing, head phones and please ensure you respect other users of the seafront. The seafront can get busy so please be courteous to all of those using it as this is not a closed road race.
In addition to the friendly marshals dotted around the course at key points, the Sea Cadets & MPCT will also be kindly helping out.
On crossing the finish line, keep walking towards the marshals who are collecting the timing chips from your trainers. Once removed, continue towards the water station, Clif bar table and medal table. Once you have collected these, please vacate the area and disperse as quickly as possible.
Our talented photographer, Liam Dyson will be out & about on the course taking snaps of runners. Details of how to purchase them will be forwarded after the event.
Results and prizes
Results will be available online at www.eastbourne10km.wordpress.com. Sadly, we are unable to present any prizes on the day at this year’s event. If you are a winner, we will send/deliver your prize to you in the following week. Prizes will be for the top three finishers (male and female) plus age group prizes.
Our thanks go out to our kind sponsors who have contributed to this year`s event, they include:
- Co-op at Beatty road, Eastbourne
- Citrus Conveyancing
- Clif Bar
- TDS Ultra
- TEMPO run shop
- Clarkes roofing
- Garf and Gill Collins
Wes Mechen from the Tempo run shop on Susan’s Rd Eastbourne is not only sponsoring the prizes this year, but he’s generously offering a 15% discount to all participants in his shop from 14th – 30th June. You just need to provide evidence of running in the event eg race number or pre race email.
We can`t wait to see you all again after such a long break. Have a great day!
Liz Lumber and Sue Fry